Monday, May 18, 2020

The Lucky One - Review

This was one of my impulsive buys a decade earlier.  Since it was Nicholas Sparks, I didn't even go through the summary before buying and I hadn't regretted it.  Now its these Corona lock down days and I ended up reading it again.  I remember how much I liked reading the intro of each character, especially how they got introduced into each others life.  And each chapter is named after the main character, so we are totally hooked and never realise the pages or the no. of the chapter.  when I first read it, it made me think if I am going to cry after reading this. (FYI: I cried buckets for a couple of days after reading The notebook).  But as predicted one of the main character did die, but it didn't leave a painful feeling at the end (like nights in Rodanthe or a walk to remember). 

The human emotions and bonding which is the forte of this author has been peppered through out this novel.  Be it the bonding between the mother and son or between two lovers or between two ex or even be it the dog and its owner has been well portrayed.  The logic as to whether to believe in luck or not, forms the crux of the novel and towards the end, it is simply a test of faith. what I mean is the author didn't go too overboard and handled 'the luck or lucky charm' part very well.  The plot, even though being predictable, has its own kind of twist and turns.  I remember reading the epilogue with bated breath to see who lost their lives, because Mr. Sparks tends to kill a protagonist at the end.  If you are a sap for romance or Nicholas Sparks novels go for it.  Though its kind of too late, I still have to watch the movie part of this novel.  I heard it is as good as The notebook or Nights at Rodanthe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...